Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Hawaiian Magic

As dawn slowly steals across the early morning Hawaiian  sky, my body-clock has already switched on to Hawaiian time. Craving an Hawaiian sunrise, I slowly come awake. Remembering there is absolutely no agenda whilst I’m here, I smile. Snuggling into Clark, we whisper sleepy thoughts about our time here so far. Agreeing we feel peace seeping into our souls. Our Idahoan-Kuaui friend Garry said when he knew we had landed in Oahu...”I hope that Hawaii works its magic healing powers. Enjoy!” He knew how desperate we were to have peace , and yes some time to heal.

Amongst some of our longest, sweetest friends, Lisa & Greg Winterton, and in some of God’s most beautiful natural settings, His cherished peace steals slowly into my heart-rejuvenating  me to my very soul. Oh the sweetness of His peace! Oh the majesty of His plan for me! My heart fills with gratitude as I breathe in the warm moist air, beckoned by the silence outside, I slip outside and the gentle island breeze ruffles my sleep-tousled hair, and caresses my cheek. Oh it’s good to be alive in this beautiful world He’s given me.

With my 60th Birthday looming...somewhat dauntingly, on my horizon I had decided to help me wrap my head around this major milestone of mortality- we would go home to Australia and with dear friends Trevor and Chris Jones, we’d celebrate on the Great Barrier Reef! We talked and planned and then suddenly six months ago our personal universe turned upside down as we began to live through those horrific hours after Bryce’s suicide attempt. To say our lives were not our own these last few months would be a gross understatement. So our big plans for this week were shelved permanently. Surviving day to day consumed us, as many of you know. Recently Clark suggested we celebrate in Hawaii. It sounded wonderful. The Islands beckoned me, whispering of peace and stillness. Of unmatched beautiful vistas, and friends whose  love and kindness would be a balm to my wounded heart.

So we came, leaving our cares and fears at the Savior’s feet by His request. Turning Bryce over to Him again, we boarded the first flight. As the distance from home increased and our destination drew nearer, our smiles grew deeper, and my heart finally felt lighter. Yes this was a good idea Lover!

And so today I thank my Savior for His endless empathy, His  living, lasting love, caring compassion and kindness and His ever-present, perfect patience. The sky here now continues to grow lighter, bird song now fills the air, and another day begins, on this island paradise of Hawaii. What incredible gifts He continues to give! So while the countdown to 60 marches on, I merely mute its sound, and absorb all the peace, tranquility and beauty around me. It is another day of sand, sea and sunshine for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment