Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Independence Day

Forty-four years ago I remember waking up to a cacophony of birdsong, in the humid heat of early morning. I remember thinking... I don't think I'll need my Kangaroo skin coat here.... because I was in Hawaii! We had arrived late to our Hotel so I was anxious to indulge in the sights, sounds, and smells of my favorite flower. The Frangipani (Plumeria) grew on massive trees, and heavy with blooms during our short stay, and I was loving it! It soothed my wounded aching heart, as I felt I had found a little piece of home. As we headed toward the airport we began to see all these little American Flags along the windy little roads from Laie to Honolulu. Unfamiliar with America's Independence Day it took awhile for it dawn on us we were in the middle of the island's celebration, ha! we thought someone was throwing a party for us!  Later we landed in Los Angeles and the display of Patriotism was even more evident on the mainland. It was interesting to me to see such patriotism. I reflected that while growing up in Australia, we adored our Queen Elizabeth, but we were really just part of her Commonwealth. The Australia we know today- took many more years to evolve. Now when I go home I am delighted to see so many Australian flags flapping against the cobalt-blue sky, everywhere it seems.



Photo courtesy of Cousin Robyn Sewell Mangold....thanks Robbie!

But at almost-16, all those years ago, I was not happy about moving here permanently. Goodness the 'Yanks' didn't even spell right, like leaving the 'U' out of colour, and Saviour...not to mention how harsh they sounded with their crazy accent....driving on the wrong side of the road made no sense at all...and well let's just call a spade a spade...I didn't want to be here! Life as I knew it had come to a screaming halt...I remember as we drove away from my home in Adelaide, my cousins, Aunt's, Uncles, Grandparents, my friends, everything I held dear...I yelled from the back of the car, "I hate you, you are going to regret this!"  Just what every parent wants to hear when they are making such a sacrifice, in part, for the hateful child screaming in the car....NOT!

And for the record I was the ONLY one complaining! 
My life was over...nothing would ever be the same...I knew this was a huge error in judgement! But no one was listening to me in the least. The first six months were torture...I remember riding home from my first week at school thinking...I am just not going to speak ever again. I continued to endure relentless teasing about my accent...and got laughed at when I said the wrong word...In YW I asked one of the girls to pass me the 'rubber' instead of the 'eraser' .....how was I to know the slang word for a condom was in America???? Life was a real challenge....coordinating clothes for school every day was overwhelming after wearing a school uniform my whole life. I had one new friend in Providence tell me "Yeah wait til your hair and the snot in your nose freezes on the way to the bus." Oh seriously couldn't wait for that to happen! 

Gradually I assimilated, but deep in my heart I have never recovered fully. Multiple times I have gone to the courthouse to listen to the required oath for citizenship. Each time I left knowing I couldn't honestly take that oath. It is deeply personal that I still regard Australia as my home and the land that holds my heart. Don't get me wrong I love America and the beautiful life I have been blessed with here. But Australia will always be my home.

And so on this Independence Day I truly do appreciate all I have had, continue to have and will have in the future, in this great country.  I also have a healthy respect and deep gratitude for my Angel Mother who made this sacrifice to move us to America- mostly for better gospel-related opportunities for us kids. It ultimately meant she was separated by an ocean from her dearest friends-her family, and others. And while very few of her children still embrace those gospel ideals she sacrificed so much for, she is a constant example or righteous endurance to me. And I love her for that. 

And so today, I am profoundly grateful for the American I married...Lover is my everything. I am also profoundly grateful for all my half-american children, and quarter-american grandchildren. I remember Dani telling me, shortly after she had married her sweetheart Paul, and became an instant Mother to his Paul and Liam, that when Liam realized Nanny is Australian...he said "Well then that makes me 1/4 Australian, right?" Sure does in my heart Liam!

So Happy Independence Day today (since really everyone in the world has a July 4th right?)
and I am truly grateful for where my journey through mortality has taken me. And I am so grateful you are a part of this fabulous adventure, regardless of where you call home or are now! Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment