Sunday, March 22, 2020

"I need to cancel my flight..."

" I need to cancel my flight..." I quickly came to recognize the fear, anxiety and unease woven tightly into those words. I work from home providing customer support for JetBlue. I have just completed 13 consecutive days of work, with mandatory overtime as we have worked our way through thousands of distraught callers in these darkening days.  I personally logged an exhausting 60 hour week. Not only is it physically taxing, but emotionally as well. I have assisted those with canceled wedding plans, which I know can be rescheduled, but the ones who have had to miss funerals were probably among some of the most heart-wrenching. The cycle of life goes on. Clark's sweet Aunt Marcia left this world for the next one, and watching her family bravely hold on to her memories, and figuring out how to forgo their planned celebration of her life, in the midst of their shattering grief, has been hard but admirable.
I have spoken to those who have tested positive for the virus, but who have no idea how they contracted it....likely from the gas station one thought...to others who have been banned from visiting their precious grandchildren because they had to pass through two airports to get to them, and their children told them not to come. Single Mothers who have put their children through college and will now forfeit that glorious moment of  seeing them graduate. Sons and daughters who have elderly parents, and "..what if this continues and they get sick without me there?" Then the Americans who were stranded in foreign countries who had locked down their borders before the Americans could get home. I could hear the fear, I wept silently with those who cried, I also delighted in the transactions where we could get someone back home to be with their family, where flights worked out, and where JetBlue had empowered me to go above and beyond in tailoring a success story for some. At the peak of the trials I noted we had 2900 customers waiting on hold. Waiting over an hour sometimes, although they assured me the cruise lines were 3 1/2 hours hold, and Delta was 6 hours! They repeatedly said how much they loved JetBlue and how kind the agents always were. They apologized for other customers who were nasty or yelling, I assured them we were all ok (even though there were times when that was stretching the truth a bit...) I repeated many times we have the best customers in all the world! 
And amidst all this chaos and fear and turmoil, and sometimes anger driven by terror, then one morning began with a 5.7 earthquake. With all that JetBlue was dealing with, they stopped everything to initiate our internal emergency response plan and contacted every single employee here in Utah. We each were required to answer:

 1) I am alright 
 2) I need assistance

Shortly thereafter the well-wishes and prayers for us began to pour in from our Orlando Customer Support team, offering to pick up our shifts for those who had lost power or needed to be with their children and families. I was in awe again at the ability for our JetBlue family to help us feel we matter to them, that our welfare as the backbone of this company was their priority. 

And then this week was the disappointing news that Covenant Communications decided not to publish my book. Quietly that contributed to this pretty rough week. I will continue to pursue other options as the Lord directs. It has been hard to say those words out loud, however His will always prevails, and I am on His errand, and I find peace knowing He knows.

So as I have now reflected on all that has transpired within these last 13 days, I can see the loving hand of the Lord gently holding my bruised and battered soul. Lifting me with His love and support. Recognizing the gifts around me of kind words, hugs from family, Clark picking up the slack in our home while I spent hours assisting others all over the world. Watching my daffodils bloom, brightening their little patch of the world here. And hearing the birds twitter as they rushed to find food for their newborn babies. I see gifts of having my schedule lightened because of all the medical issues I have been dealing with, which then allowed me to pick up my mandatory overtime. I am grateful all my doctor visits and tests were over before the 'shelter in place' order came. I am grateful for Darling Declan and the hours of pure joy I was able to experience as we spent many hours together. I am so impressed with my children as each of them have gathered their little families in and kept each other safe. 

But this morning as I felt my anxiety creep in as the reality of this situation begins to unfold on a global scale, Australia has closed it's borders for 6 months...Qantas has had to lay off 20,000 workers...I recognized my anxiety beginning to escalate, and so I reached for the Savior. Knowing He knows all, knowing I love and trust Him, knowing He has provided a Prophet-Doctor to lead and guide all the world who will listen to him. My heart began to feel His peace. I listened to one newscaster with my jaw dropping last week when he said, "We all need to get plenty of rest, take our vitamins and eat healthy..." Hmmm I think I have heard that before....oh yeah President Nelson told us that a year ago

And so with my anxiety slowly receding, my faith and peace gently increasing, I know to whom I will look for strength. I glory in my God. I glory in my Jesus. I am grateful for my Prophet. I am so excited for our General Conference in 13 sleeps! 

I pray for each of us be safe, that we will be kind to others, that we will be on our knees that we may each see the Lord's Tender Mercies that abound. Spread goodness and light to all around us, and know to whom we can turn for peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment