Sunday, April 26, 2020

Faith-colored Glasses

"When we look at the world and our experiences with faith-colored glasses, we will see proof of God everywhere." 
This speaks to my soul! Years ago Pres Eyring shared that in the time he was Bishop he began a daily written acknowledgement of the Saviors Hand in his life. He said there were many times he would come through the door exhausted at the end of a very long hard day and would be tempted to skip it, or thought "I'll do it tomorrow" but he never once succumbed to those temptations. Every day he would write about how he saw the Hand of God in that day. He said he did it so that some day his descendants could read it and know wherein his faith had it's roots. I know Pres Eyring, I met him through a mutual friend, and took Pres Eyring at his word when he said, "Anytime you need to talk to me, please just come to my office." And I did, when he was President of then Ricks College, later when he was Commissioner of Education in the Church office building. Later we would continue to communicate, one letter arriving when I was in the MTC prior to my mission. I wept tears of joy when he was called as an Apostle. I remember Clark gathering the children around our TV as we sustained him the following day and Clark said "He's Mom's friend!" So when he speaks for me it's my friend speaking, as well as the Lord's anointed Apostle.

And so I began a daily journal of His Tender Mercies. Those of you who have read my blog, know those Tender Mercies are both real and deeply appreciated. And yesterday sweet Bryce made a comment in passing to me (can't even remember what we were talking about) he said, "I love that you look for the Lord's hand all the time." That was it. And I felt grateful that Bryce could see that, and voiced it to me. While Bryce is doing really well he still battles daily with the devil, and I am so proud of him for that.


So when I wanted to read something uplifting today I went to Come Follow Me daily on my FB feed. and when Mary said this, "When we look at the world and our experiences with faith-colored glasses, we will see proof of God everywhere." It filled my heart. And I know it is true. I challenge anyone to try it for one week. And I hope each of us would follow Pres Eyring's example and then record those Tender Mercies. In dark days when our hearts and minds may be wrestling with chaos, uncertainty, and faith challenges, we can return to this Tender Mercies Journal and remember the Lord is real, remember He is loving, remember the Lord is walking this journey with you! And when we lift up our head and put on those faith-colored glasses, the world is an amazing place. And maybe our personal struggles haven't changed, perhaps with our new glasses of faith we can see things a little differently, maybe we can get a reprieve from the burden, maybe we can believe Christ is on the details of our life, not the devil after all.


Faith-colored glasses...I so love this! God is good. We may be in this together...but we are not social distancing from the source of love & truth. Christ doesn't have COVID-19...we don't need to pull away from Him! Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment