Thursday, June 21, 2018

Fond farewells

Yesterday in Australia, heaven claimed one of it's own. My giant-of-man Uncle Garry finished the course here on earth, and peacefully slipped through the veil. Fortunately I can absolutely envision the joyous reunion he would have had with many loved ones. While he was heartbroken to leave his sweetheart of 62 years, they both have righteously endured, and set us all an incredible example of covenant keeping. Together they have blazed an unmistakable path of the early pioneers of the Church in Australia. Condolences to the Osborn family continue to pour in from all the corners of the globe. Their love and influence together- with their wonderful children, have blessed countless lives.

Everyone knew Aunty Yvonne was my favorite...why else would I fly 17,000 miles to surprise her on her 80th birthday! However my esteem for my Uncle Grumpy Garry grew as I watched him sit for hours patiently explaining to Clark the ins and outs of the worlds most ridiculous sport...CRICKET!  

Uncle Garry worked his magic in the yard..in the dirt, as his great-grandson Caeden said.."I'm going to drop dirt on Papa's coffin because he loves dirt!"  and I ate many a fruit from his labors! He would often break into song, at seemingly random moments...there always seemed to be a song in his heart, a smile, and then a tease...followed by a laugh!

He adored his wife, and loved his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren too. 
And so the veil parted and his spirit moved on, finally free from any pain, ailments or worries. I know he won't be far from those he loves here, and will continue to fight the good fight for the gospel wherever he will be most needed.

I ache for the pain, heartbreak and loss my Aunty Yvonne and my dear cousins are suffering. It's moments like these that I know my heart is definitely not on this side of the world. I wish I could wrap each of them in a big hug, and promise it will all slowly, someday get better ahead. 

But all I can really do from here is be deeply grateful for the sure knowledge that Families can be together Forever! We each do our best and then the Saviour makes up the difference.  

May the Comforter strengthen you-
to bear this burden of pain.
May the Saviour's Atonement heal you-
as you give Him your grief.
May Father's loving arms hold you-
as you weep with each new wave of sorrow.
May the love of those who surround you-
help you face each new dawn with hope.

All my love, forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment