Monday, January 28, 2019

Hope, a principle of power



As we finished nine Ward Conferences in the last three weeks, I knew Pres Jones was attempting to cover as many of the attributes of Christ as time would allow. It seemed to me that the attribute he chose for each ward was tailored to what someone, in that meeting, needed to hear. In each ward the Spirit was always strong, and his words and testimony were powerful. In the final ward he talked about hope. After just a couple of minutes I quickly, but quietly, reached for my tissues, my tears were ready to escape my eyes....I think it's quite possible that I actually cried silently for the entire talk. As I fervently listened to his every word, I tried to allow the healing waters of his testimony reach my parched and aching heart.

Hope.

In Preach my Gospel the definition of hope is outlined.

"Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promises to you. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance. It is believing and expecting that something will occur. When you have hope, you work through trials and difficulties with the confidence and assurance that all things will work together for your good. Hope helps you conquer discouragement."
President James E Faust taught: "Hope is the anchor of our souls...Hope is trust in God's promises, faith that if we act now, the desired blessings will be fulfilled in the future..."

Perhaps the greatest example of hope is in Jesus Christ's Atonement, for He did indeed have hope as He descend below all things. In that defining moment of His greatest agony, He, even He the Son of God asked His Father to remove the bitter cup, but then said, but not My will but Thine be done. And in that moment Christ chose to have hope, in His Father, in the plan of Salvation, in Himself to endure an indescribable suffering, and thereby do all that had been asked of Him as God's Son.

He chose hope. I heard it, but I failed to internalize it. So Sunday afternoon and evening I struggled against the dreadful reality, that I couldn't feel any hope when it came to Bryce. I was bewildered. I prayed but found no relief. I honestly didn't know what to do.

And then this morning I got up and slowly the divine truth trickled into the painful depths of my very soul.  
      
I must CHOOSE hope. 

It doesn't just show up. I have to choose hope. Along this thorny trail of tears, I must choose hope. When life is hard, seemingly unfair, I must choose hope. When my prayers are the only source of peace, I must choose hope. And I must continue to choose hope. Day after day. Every time I am beaten down. Whenever it feels I will never be happy again, I must choose hope. If I don't then I am in essence choosing spiritual death, or limiting what God can do for me in my life. Indeed hope unleashes the powers of Heaven.

On that fateful night last April, Bryce did not make a good choice first, as he attempted suicide- but literally the second he chose hope, and decided he didn't want to die...legions of Angels rushed to his aid, because he had chosen hope! And that good decision, on the very heels of a really awful one, still brought blessings. As Pres Holland so eloquently stated, "It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ's Atonement shines."

My Patriarchal blessing says, "You will have problems to face, you will have difficulties  in this life and sorrow, but remember, that we are tried and as we overcome these trials so is our faith strengthened and, likewise, our testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. You will not be tried beyond your ability to overcome evil, but remember, that Satan is real, ever striving to thwart the principals of righteousness." Hope is a principal of righteousness...and I will always have agency to choose hope! Hope unleashes the Power of Heaven in my life!
Hope is a principle of power, God's power in my life!

Suddenly this weight on my soul took wings and left. I felt lighter, happier, and yes hopeful!
As Clark and I talked about this experience tonight, he commented that this hope was the root of all things, perhaps the most powerful principle. For without hope, what is there to live for? Why do we keep picking ourselves up? Without hope there would be no need for love, charity, forgiveness, patience, faith, humility, obedience, or endurance. It is the very bedrock of our belief's.

And while perhaps nothing appeared to have changed for me, yet, as I embraced this Christ-like attribute, my heart knew nothing would ever be the same. 

I have hope! And hope is a beautiful thing.

Choose hope! And together we will be victorious! God is good! 












No comments:

Post a Comment