Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The protecting power of peace.

I love remembering that the one emotion Satan can not duplicate is peace. Peace is directly associated to Christ. It's how we measure our use of His Atonement. It's how we slow down enough to recognize and cultivate the presence of the Holy Ghost, the member of the Godhead we are allowed to be in the presence of. Throughout this last year, but even more especially in just the last few months, I have come to understand His peace on a whole new level.

When I am obedient to His directive to focus on Him (not Bryce) it's almost like I am in a protective bubble. Shrouded by peace I am protected from the fiery darts of the adversary. I am not subject to the dramatic mood swings and erratic behavior that often fills Bryce's life. I am empowered to turn the other cheek more often, and serve Bryce quietly in ways I am not sure he even is aware of. I bear him no malice- regardless of his choices. Clark and I are strengthened in our relationship, creating a formidable team together.

Twice now I have felt the peace shatter, by my own actions, and it is devastating! However those painful lessons have taught me well. I learned to repent quickly. I choose peace!

Tonight as I was writing in my favorite Purple Journal. I absolutely love how many times I come to the end of an entry, and page, and the scripture printed at the bottom of the page becomes a second witness to the lessons I am learning and writing about. Tonight was no exception.

Isaiah 26:3
"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because He trusteth in thee." ( Or he trusteth in Thee ) A little poetic license, or personal revelation....but oh my goodness. As I keep my eyes fixed on Christ, He will continue to bless me with peace, even amid the storms!

As I sit here tonight the storm is blowing in fiercely. It is testing the mettle of all the new spring leaves, and flowers. It has already up-ended my hammock! And yet as I watch the 70 foot trees on my little corner of the universe, I marvel again at how their deep roots allow these magnificent trees to sway and bend...but not break! 
How deep are my spiritual roots? How far do I bend under the storms of life? Bend but not break! As the gentle rain falls, battered a little by the winds, the tulips close up for the night, protecting themselves in the storm. Slowly the winds die down and we all collectively breathe a sigh of relief. I can now hear the all-soothing sound of the rain on the tin roof outside my office. it makes me smile.

We have all survived another day. Tomorrow will look brighter in the sunshine. And for tonight, I will enjoy the scent of the rain and the earth washed clean again. I will turn my face to my Savior and bask in the protective blessing of peace. May His peace touch and bless your life too, as we each toil against the storms of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment