Monday, September 10, 2018

All is well.


I have often heard the expression "Remember where you were when Pres Kennedy was shot?"
However, as I was not living in the United States when it happened..this expression had little meaning for me personally. Now, now I understand the expression. 

Our kids had just come home from early morning Seminary in California on the morning of the attacks. We turned on the TV and watched in stunned, silent horror as the events were unfolding on the other side of the country. In those early minutes as the attacks spread from the Towers in lower Manhattan...to a field in Pennsylvania...to the Pentagon...real fear gripped my heart as I knew we were only miles from one of the Nation's Nuclear Facilities...what if...the images were terrifying.

Then I thought about Trevor...who traveled all over the globe for Qantas...praying he wasn't on one of those planes...I dialed him, not caring what time it was in Australia...he answered the phone, and of course already knew more than we did.

Somehow there seemed to be some kind of surreal disconnect between the images I was looking at and the reality of the situation. It couldn't be possible....and then when the Towers began the swift disintegration of destruction...I watched the cloud of dust and debris racing towards the cameras....tons of twisted, melting steel collapsing on so many first-responders ...and others. Others who had gone to work that morning like they did every other day...only this day would not ever be like any other day any of us had ever experienced.

My heart ached for the loss of life. I prayed fervently for those working on recovery and rescue. 
Later this image became my favorite of that unspeakable disaster. It seemed to capture so much.

Later I stood at ground zero and I saw the crater left by that senseless act of hate.

Later I walked the beautiful, peaceful, reverent replacement grounds created in honor of the victims.

The twin lights seemed such a beacon of hope...when all seemed to be lost.
The reflection...life for some of us did go on, and today we stand united and stronger against hate.
Today again I am so grateful for the first-responders...who climbed to their death while they gave their all to save as many as possible.
There were many who were spared...they felt impressed not to go into work that morning. I hope they can rise above the survivors guilt and live again to make the world better.
I also remember that churches were filled to overflowing after the attacks.
I remember the companies making American flags...were sold out for months.

I remember the first General Conference after this time of pain.
I remember President Hinckley saying, "Are these perilous times? They are. But there is no need to fear. We can have peace in our hearts and peace in our homes. We can be an influence for good in this world, every one of us."

So as we come upon yet another anniversary of that disastrous day, 9/11, I feel grateful for the answers to prayers I have known. I am grateful to have leaders to follow, who know the path to take. I feel grateful to know good men and women continue to serve as first-responders. And most importantly I hold tight to my knowledge of my loving Heavenly Father, who knows me and loves me. And Jesus Christ, who as my Savior, has given His all that I may have a way back home for Eternity.

Hope and peace can live in this less-than-perfect world.
I continue to look forward to the day Satan will be bound from this earth.
In the mean time I choose to do all that I can to wrap those I love in the sacred security of the Holy Ghost.

Always remember...never forget...all is well.



No comments:

Post a Comment