Tuesday, May 1, 2018

A hug...

I have gained a whole new perspective on hugs! I've often been told I give good hugs...at first I thought a hug is a hug...I just want the person to know I care or love them. Some people are uncomfortable with hugs, my sister Beth seems to melt into me when we hug and I love that! Sometimes a genuine hug says all that we cannot say, don't want to say, or don't know how to say. And then there are times when no words are even necessary.
I have received a lot of hugs over the last two weeks...yes it's really been two weeks! Every hug I have received has been the perfect answer to my need at that very moment.

Sunday at Church for the first time, I was already on pretty shaky ground personally, but hug after blessed hug fed my soul! Infused with love, caring, and concern, those hugs enabled me to take my next step! And then on my way to the Bishop's office through an open doorway I looked and saw my brother-in-law Ryan...he hurried to his feet and came after me and just enfolded me in a huge hug, and he just held on and held on. (Clark's brother Ed had done the same thing in the Temple last week at his daughters wedding) He kept holding me until I had the courage to let go, he said not a word, just held me. I still get teary as I think of that seemingly simple act of kindness. To me it was epic, and I seem to never run out of the need to be hugged.

Also on Sunday, a dear friend shared this with me. He said..."We really don't know what, if anything, the angel said when he came to minister to Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Nothing is recorded so maybe he just held Christ to sustain Him."

Perhaps it was indeed just a hug...but a hug is never just a hug, from the receivers perspective! Sometimes we feel impressed to offer the hug, other times it's obviously much needed. Whatever the reason to give or to receive a hug, if love, caring or comfort is exchanged then you are indeed standing on holy ground. Ministering in a more holy way, to quote our sweet Prophet, President Nelson. 

I know I will never take for granted a Bryce hug again. When he wraps his long arms around me I feel his love! My Mother's heart aches for those who have lost their loved ones, and have to rely on spiritual hugs instead. And yes before you ask, I totally know those are real! This conversation about hugs then naturally takes me to thoughts of returning home to my Heavenly Father and Mother and Brother Jesus Christ...wow I seriously cannot even imagine how Their hugs will feel. Along with the promised..."Well done thou good and faithful child, welcome back!" Hmmm ... food for thought! Hope for another tomorrow on that journey Home!

Just wanted to share some of my musing today. Bryce is pushing his way through his fourth 24 hours...so far so good. He went back to his employer yesterday and told them he was there to fight for his job. There had been some communication issues, not of his doing, so he wanted to talk to them. They called him last night and welcomed him back beginning next week! He was soooo excited! I also saw the tender mercy in giving him another week before taking on the world again, a perspective taught to me from our sweet friends Gary & Elizabeth. They came and visited Bryce just before he was moved from Provo. Elizabeth said maybe Bryce should look at this as a cocoon to figure himself out before he is thrown back into the world...kind of like when we stay in the hospital after the birth of our baby. I loved that analogy and really hoped the Lord would arrange for Bryce to return to work when the time was right for him. And I believe He did just that.

I hope if we have the opportunity to share a hug with someone near us, we will pour our love into that hug. Everyone needs hugs, more at some times than others. However since we rarely have insight into everyone's heart or personal pain, remember, we may just be answering a prayer with a hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment