Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The joy of a blink!

Bryce has been at UVRMC for just over 12 hours now. He’s sedated  because of the intubation, so he can’t speak. They have tried several treatments to get his erratic heart rhythm into a stable and more normal range. With the shift change and the fluid state he’s been in new ideas came forward and slowly through the day his heart is responding ! We went home and slept for a couple of hours cleaned up ate and returned, having made a plan for the next few days.
Upon our return his heart was more normal and then he opened his eyes, focused on me with recognition, and of course was distressed about where he was . I talked soothingly and told him he was in the hospital and that I loved him. Then I said don’t talk but blink twice if you understand me...JOY OF JOYS he blinked twice in response. I was thrilled!!! However he grows very agitated so then we talk him down and he flees his eyes again. Unfortunately because of the meds running into him, next time he totally forgets the other conversation. So every time he starts to wake, he’s in shock again about where he is and why....
They are addressing emerging issues and his heart stability is remaining constant. Answers to so many prayers. So many have told me they’ve put our names on the Temple prayer rolls...even in Sydney! We certainly are feeling those prayers- they are the reason we’re still standing!
Of course we’ve had our tears and moments of near-despair, but we’re leaning heavily on each other and the Lord. They have discovered he has Diabetes...but have it controlled as the day has progressed.
His sister Kylee has been here and is currently talking to him, when his eyes open for a few seconds . His older brother Cassidy is coming down as soon as he lands  from a business trip to NJ.
My heart aches as I watch him struggle but the many tender mercies are undeniable !
I still think the biggest miracle is that he came upstairs and woke us last night..,,.is it really not even 24 hours yet?....had he not come up when he did, he would have started seizing downstairs -alone-and  we would never have known and the outcome could have been very different.
So that’s where we are they expect the life of the meds he ingested is 36 hours so we’re not out of the woods yet. But we feel progress is being made.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon, I just read your post. I am so sorry. If I can help by sitting with him while you take a break, I can certainly do that. Not a lot more I am afraid but I can do that and can give you a breather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your offer is so kind and I so appreciate you
    For now we’re good thanks!

    ReplyDelete